Churches & Cemeteries
Aenon Baptist Cemetery, North River
The cemetery is located approximately eight miles from Truro on Highway 311. Many of the monuments date back to 1862. The Aenon Baptist Cemetery in Central North River was incorporated on April 14th, 1954. It is governed by a Board of Directors and is presently being maintained by Mr. Brian Sullivan as caretaker. The Aenon Baptist Church is also located on the property along with the cemetery.
Bible Hill Cemetary
Was opened in 1974 in the village of Bible Hill. The cemetery is located at 41 Warren Drive.
Crossroads Cemetery, Valley
What is currently known as crossroads cemetery in Valley began as a burial ground in 1859 and has been used since then. The cemetery was incorporated in 1874 and additional land was bought from John Cristie. The cemetery was named Cross-Roads Salmon River Cemetery in 1886. (Wright, 1950's)The cemetery is in 2 sections to the back of the church (Valley United Church) is the older section of graves and to the left of are the newer graves.
McLeod Cemetery, Central North River
It was constructed on Bill Mathewson's property. The oldest gravestone dates back to 1824 and marks the grave of Jane Sutherland.
Aenon Baptist Church, North River
Anglican Christ Church, Clifton
Christ Church (Anglican) was under construction in 1853, completed in 1856 and consecrated in September 1858. The church was demolished after 1977 and today, the churches cemetery is all that remains on site.
Belmont United Baptist Church
Founded in 1887, Evangelical services were begun here in 1878 through the outreach of Onslow Baptists. The present church was erected in 1908 after the previous one was destroyed by fire three years earlier on August 19, 1905. There was some activity by Baptists in this community prior to 1873 when it was still known as Chiganois, but the church was not erected until 1880 as a result of missionary activity by Onslow Baptists.
Clifton Presbyterian Meetinghouse
Built in 1832, the meetinghouse was the first Presbyterian Meetinghouse to be built in the Clifton area. In 1860, the people of this church formed the Clifton congregation. The Old Clifton Cemetery and a plaque remain on the site of this meetinghouse.
Green Oaks Calvary Union (Later United Church)
Hilden United Church
The lone church in Hilden is the Hilden United Church, which was built in 1924 on the site of the former Church Hall. A new United Church Hall was built beside the church and dedicated in February 1966.
Knox Presbyterian Church, Belmont
In January 1898, a new Presbyterian church was opened and dedicated about a mile from Belmont station. This Knox Presbyterian church remained in use for forty years until 1938. Today a monument to the church is all that remains on the former church site.
Lower Onslow United Church
The Presbyterians at Lower Onslow worshiped in a hall until it burned down in January 1950. Their new church was dedicated on May 5, 1951. Today, what was the Lower Onslow United Church is now the Lower Onslow Community Hall.
East Onslow Baptist Church
On September 5th, 1791, Rev. John Payzant was called from Cornwallis to organize a church at Onslow. It was not until September 11, 1814 that they called themselves ‘The Baptist Church of Onslow’. In 1868, the North River section was recognized as the East Onslow Church. In 1874, Rev. Marche became pastor of the East Onslow Church.
West Onslow Baptist Church
The first pastor of the church was Rev. Samuel Thompson. During his ministry, the church resolved to erect a new house of worship. The old union house had become unfit for use and the Presbyterians had resolved to build a house for themselves exclusively. Agreeable to both denominations, the Presbyterians retained the old site, giving the Baptists the old building, the foundation stone and $80 in cash. Before the completion of the building, Pastor Thompson tendered his resignation.
In 1872, Rev. John Coombs was called. He only remained with them for a year. For a time, the church was without a pastor. However, the work on the new building steadily went on to its completion. It was formally opened on the 9th day of November 1873. Rev. John Goucher preached the dedicatory sermon in the morning, Rev. David McKeen preached in the afternoon and Rev. M. P. Freeman in the evening. (J. T. Dimock)St. David's United Church, Bible Hill
St. David’s United Church was opened on July 11, 1948. It became the church hall when the new St. David’s sanctuary was begun in 1959, and then dedicated on June 26, 1960.
St. George's Anglican Church, Bible Hill
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, McClures Mills
Wesley United Church, Belmont
The present church in Belmont was formally opened on December 5, 1897, during the ministry of Rev. R. B. Mack. With Onslow and Lower Onslow, Wesley United Church of Belmont is currently part of a three-point pastoral charge officially known as “Onslow-Belmont”. The Church was decommisioned after December 2009, and as of June 2010 the church was for sale.
A Presbyterian church was begun in 1832 and completed about 1850. It was used until 1880 when it was sold and torn down. The United Baptist Church was opened on May 6, 1894.
A Presbyterian church was built in 1846. In October, 1854, a Methodist chapel was opened at “Shigonish, eight miles from Truro”.
A Presbyterian (later United church), was opened on March 7, 1869. It burned down on December 22, 1935 and a new United church was dedicated on December 6, 1936.
The Baptist church was built in 1878. A Presbyterian church was also erected in 1878, but it burned down on March 21, 1880. The frame of the new church was erected and boarded in by June 26, 1880, and the building was opened on October 31. The village also had a Gospel Hall in 1967.
East Folly Mountain
The interior of a new Methodist church was completed by October 1882, but in October, 1886, a tea meeting was held in the new Methodist church at East Folleigh Mountain to get money to complete the building.
A Methodist church was erected and dedicated in 1870. A Baptist church was built about the same time.
The Presbyterian church was begun in 1858.
The frame of a Presbyterian church was erected by May 14, 1881 and the building was completed, on the outside, by October 29 of that year.
A new Presbyterian church was opened on December 30, 1888. The Anglican church of the Ascension was consecrated on May 23, 1895.
A Presbyterian meetinghouse was built here before 1841. On May 13, 1877 the Baptist meetinghouse was opened.
A Methodist chapel was begun in June, and completed by September 6, 1855. A new church was begun on April 17, and opened on December 17, 1882. A Presbyterian church was built about 1861 at “North River of Onslow”. A new Presbyterian church at Upper North River was opened on October 27, 1895. A Presbyterian church at “West Branch North River” burned on May 11, 1896 and the new building, which replaced it, was opened on June 13, 1897.
A Presbyterian meeting house may have been built here around 1830.
The Onslow Meetinghouse was framed about 1768 or 1769. A new meetinghouse, which was used by Presbyterians and Baptists, was erected at Central Onslow in 1780 and completed in 1812. In 1871 it was torn down and on September 8, 1872 a new Presbyterian church was opened on the same site. This building burned down on November 18, 1900 and a new church was opened on March 9, 1902.
Another Presbyterian church was opened in Onslow on December 23, 1897. In 1872-73 the Baptists built a new church across the road from the new Presbyterian church. It was sold in 1920 and later torn down. A Union Church was erected in 1855 between Salmon River and Onslow Mountain.
A new Presbyterian church was dedicated at Princeport on November 21, 1915.
Valley Union Church, later the Coldstream United Church, was built in June of 1856.