Churches & Cemeteries
Baptist Cemetery, Bass River
This Cemetery was established in 1870. In 1951, there was a survey conducted of the new and old cemeteries by Charles Campbell and Earl Davidson. The land on which the new part of the cemetery is located was the site of the first Bass River School. The school burnt down on New Years Eve of 1910/1911. In later years, the land was donated from Lillian Hill to the Cemetery Association and became the existing new part of the cemetery today(Hemeon, S. Ward. 1987; Chipman, Jim. 2009).
Hillcrest Cemetery, Londonderry
Earliest grave 1805, James Wilson.
Mahon Cemetery, Great Village
In 1765, John Mahon set aside a plot of his land to be used as a burial ground. The first person buried in this plot was his wife Sarah, who died in 1779. Next was a son John, followed by his own death in 1792. During 1915, a group of 7 men set up the Great Village Cemetery Company. Several acres were purchased from James Forbes. This completed the land now held by the Great Village Cemetery Company comprising approximately six acres, and still known as “The Mahon Cemetery”.
Acadia Mines United Baptist Church, Londonderry
The Baptist Church was incorporated in 1878.
Bass River United Baptist Church (Former Portapique and Bass River Baptist Church)
On February 9, 1856, 14 members of the church requested letters of dismission to form a church in Great Village, which was unanimously granted. In the letter to the Association in 1856, the church numbered 47. On May 29, 1859, the new meeting house in Upper Economy was opened for the worship of God(T. D. Davison). The Church was built in 1892, opening around October.
Church of Nazarene, Bass River
The Church of the Nazarene was begun in 1943, and was dedicated on August 20, 1944. The material used to build this church was from a Presbyterian Church in Economy that was built in 1863 and had become inactive after a church union in 1925. The Church of Nazarene became inactive in the 1990s and the building was moved to a new location. The former Church is now the Bass River Heritage Museum. The site the museum is now on was the former site of the last three Dominiom Chair Company Factories which were all destroyed by fire, the first three factories were located across the street and were, again, all lost to fires.
Economy United Church
In Economy, a new congregational church was started before April 1882, but was blown down on December 14. The church was rebuilt but burned down in 1894. The new building which was erected became the Economy United Church in 1925.
(Lower Economy and) Five Islands Baptist Church
This church was organized on September 21, 1828. However, it is necessary to go back 12 years. On July 2, 1816, Rev. Charles Tupper crossed the Bay of Fundy from Black Rock to Parrsborro. Arriving at Five Islands, July 12th, his next visit to Five Islands and Lower Economy was October 31, 1816. He preached the first evening after his arrival. On August 30th of 1818, a number of people were baptized by him at Five Islands. The time had still not yet arrived to organize a church so it wasn't until 1834 that the Economy and Five Islands Baptist Church was received into the Association. The first Pastor was John E. Cogswell from 1837-1844. (Josiah Soley) The church was closed in 1965. The Baptist Cemetery surrounds the church building which has since been converted to a Senior Citizens Centre.
Penial United Church, Five Islands
After a Church burned in 1888 in Five Islands, a new church was built. The Church became Peniel United and was dedicated July 9, 1890. The United Cemetery is located across the street from the Church.
Riverside United Church, Bass River
The Riverside United Church was built by the Presbyerians from 1866-1868, and dedicated on April 22, 1868. Today, the Church is surrounded by the Riverside United Church Cemetery which was established in 1868.
St. Ambrose Roman Catholic Church, Londonderry
In 1871 the community's first Catholic Church was constructed. In 1878, Rev. William Hamilton became Londonderry's first resident priest. On May 31, 1920, a major fire swept through Londonderry. Homes and stores fell before the flames and the fire claimed as well, four churches; Anglican, Baptist, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic. The people of St. Ambrose, purchased the Salvation Army hall later that year and moved it across the river to the foundation of their original building. They added a steeple to the hall to give the structure the striking appearance which it possesses to this day.
St. Luke’s Anglican Church, Bass River
The church was constructed under Rev. J. A. Willett's leadership. The riverside location, near the course of the old railway was decided on October 9th, 1953, the plans were completed and in November, the work of building commenced. Shortly after Easter, on April 26, 1954, the little church was dedicated, with Rev. R. H. Waterman Bishop of Nova Scotia, officiating. This was followed by its consecration on October 19, 1958. The church was sold in 1999.
The Presbyterian church was opened on January 21, 1891.
A Presbyterian meeting house was built at Economy before 1842. A new Presbyterian church was built at Economy in 1863. After the church union in 1925 it was no longer needed and was sold to the Nazerene congregation who used the material in their church at Bass River in 1934-44. A new Presbyterian Hall at Lower Economy was opened December 8, 1895. A Methodist chapel being erected at Economy blew down during the winter of 1855, but was rebuilt.
A Baptist meeting house was built at Upper Economy about 1853 and dedicated on May 29, 1859. A Baptist church was built in Lower Economy in 1856. The new Lower Economy Baptist church was opened on January 27, 1884, and was dedicated on September 6, 1885. A new church was opened in Upper Economy in 1876.
A Presbyterian church was begun in 1817. The second church was completed soon after 1854, and was destroyed by fire in 1888. A Baptist church was built in 1828. A new meeting house was completed enough for service by April, 1850. A new Baptist church was dedicated November 26, 1876. A Methodist church began about 1853 or 1854, was still uncompleted in April 1856. St. Matthew's Chapel was built by the Church of England in the early 1880's, the property is now a private residence and the church building no longer stands. A new church was built in 1899 and was moved to Lower Five Islands in October 1952 for the use of the United Church congregation.
A log church was erected in the 1770’s. In 1794, a new frame church was erected.
A United Baptist Church located there was dedicated on December 29, 1852.
A Union Meetinghouse for Presbyterians, Methodists, and Baptists was opened October 31, 1875. St. Paul’s Anglican church was built soon after March 1866 and served as a union meetinghouse until 1873. In 1876 a new church was begun, but the frame was burned down. Rebuilt, it was consecrated on May 30, 1880, but it burned down on September 30, 1891. The new St. Paul’s church was consecrated on January 8, 1897 and was destroyed by fire on May 31, 1920. A Baptist church was opened on February 13, 1881 and was burned on May 31, 1920. A Roman Catholic church was built around 1871 and burned down on May 31, 1920, but was rebuilt soon after (see above). The Methodist church was dedicated January 1, 1882 and became Acadia United church after 1925. The Presbyterian church purchased the interests the other denominations in the union church in 1879 but the building burned down on May 31, 1920.
All Soul’s Anglican church construction began around September 15, 1888, and was consecrated on December 9, 1888.
A new meetinghouse was completed in 1842. In March of 1882, the old Union meetinghouse was sold and a new Presbyterian church had been contracted for. This church was opened November 12, 1882. The new United church was opened and dedicated on August 18, 1929, and the old Presbyterian church was eventually boarded up and abandoned. A Baptist church was built in 1883. On May 9, 1883, a building at Portapique Mountain used for a school, temperance hall and Baptist meetinghouse, was destroyed by fire.
A Presbyterian church was built before 1875.