Nelson Memorial Park
This 47-acre picnic park is situated in a quiet, natural setting beside Tatamagouche Bay on the Northumberland Shore.
Discover Nelson Memorial Park
- Picnic with family or friends under the large timberframe picnic shelter or one of the smaller covered picnic tables.
- Enjoy the ocean view from the paths along the shore.
- Explore the Butter Trail (rail trail), part of The Great Trail.
- Swing and slide on the playground.
- Stroll along the paths through the woods.
- Walk the gravel beach and watch for wildlife along the salt marsh.
- Stop and smell the roses in the floral gardens (a project in partnership with Tatamagouche Communities in Bloom)
Use of Park for Events
Know When You Go
- 2018 Season: Open from May 12 until October 8, daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Free admission.
- Barbeque grills are available at the two smaller picnic shelters. You must bring your own charcoal briquettes.
- Dogs must be keep on leash in the park. Dogs may be off leash only in the fenced dog park. Please pick up after your pet.
- There is ocean access, however due to the tidal variation and shallow bay, water activities such as swimming, canoeing, and kayaking are limited.
- Hunting is not allowed.
- Off-highway vehicles are allowed only on the rail trail (Butter Trail) through the park, not on the walking trails.
Address: 153 Loop of Highway 6, Bayhead
Location: 2 km west of Tatamagouche via Highway 6; 55 km north of Truro via Route 311.
From Highway 6 on the west side of Tatamagouche, follow the blue and white signs to the park.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
In 2014, we expanded the walking trails in the park and constructed a timberframe picnic shelter. Thank you for your support and patience as we continue to improve the park for your enjoyment.
Gazebo in Park